My lovely drawersJune 3, 2009
This morning there are five men in my house, and I’m thrilled. Because shortly I will be allowed to start stuffing my capacious new drawers with all manner of goodies.
But I am starting to grow quite overcome with the sudden luxury of all this space, and wonder if any of you have Views on what should go where, in a kitchen? It seems as luxurious a decision as how to arrange books in a new bookshelf – a deeply pleasurable task, I always find. But given that alphabetical order probably won’t work here, I seek your advice!
We will have:
- a large floor-to ceiling pantry of drawers & cupboards (shivering with excitement about that – another whole post, methinks!)
- two long s/steel rails for hanging bits and bobs off, along both benches
- six pairs of standard overhead cupboards with three shelves in each
- one pair of shallow lower cupboards with two shelves, for appliances
- four standard-width drawers (cutlery etc), and
- six extra-wide drawers, for whatever we like …??
I read somewhere that if you clear out your kitchen drawers you should start by putting everything in a box, and as you use something, you put it in a drawer. After a month you are supposed to chuck out whatever unused things remain in the box.
I don’t think I can be bothered with such restraint.
I do, though, suspect there is some ordering principle that would be useful. Crockery up, or down? Cookware down, servingware up? Will the drawers get too heavy with crockery in them? Which things for cupboards, and which for drawers? And what stuff logically belongs on the sink side of the kitchen and what on the oven side?
I await your correspondence.